Gagging to fly - Tenerife conditions?

Links/recommendations to good flying/guiding away from our wet and windy shores.
AgeingHippy

Gagging to fly - Tenerife conditions?

Post by AgeingHippy » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:37 am

Hi All

I'm gagging to fly. The Autumn in the UK has been pretty rubbish for me what with car troubles and the strong winds. I had a good week in July in Bassano and another fantastic week in Algodonales in September, but since July have only managed a couple of flights in the UK @ 10 min each :-(

I have 2 weeks flying in South Africa in January, but want to squeeze something in, perhaps November or early December and thought a last minute long weekend in Tenerife might be an option.

So, to my question. What type of conditions makes for the better flying in Tenerife? I assume it's thermal flying one looks for rather than soaring winds?

Can anyone give me guidance as to the type of conditions I should look for to make a last minute booking?

Thanks
Charles McDonald

ALLAN B

Re: Gagging to fly - Tenerife conditions?

Post by ALLAN B » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:23 am

Hi Charles. I went to Tenerife Dec `17 and flew every day. Conditions were smooth thermal up to about 2000ft. Even when wind is a bit strong you fly on the opposite side of the island in the lee. Some of the landing fields are big but a long glide from take off. Henry at para42 is a good guide. Who are you using as a guide in South Africa. Allan

AgeingHippy

Post by AgeingHippy » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:16 pm

Hi Allan

I'm going with Lee Tryhorn and Akis from FreeFlight Academy.
Charles McDonald

ALLAN B

Post by ALLAN B » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:33 pm

Thanks Charles.
I see they are fully booked or I would have probably came along.
Have a good trip.
Allan