Where to go in April

Links/recommendations to good flying/guiding away from our wet and windy shores.
AgeingHippy

Where to go in April

Post by AgeingHippy » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:05 pm

I attended the club meeting last night, and good it was. Learned about some places, and have in fact been to 2 of those discussed, but unfortunately no closer to deciding where to go in April.

This is a shout out for Information and advice.

I'm looking for an April holiday because it helps break the year into manageable chunks. Having said that, quality of flight does trump the calendar so would adjust to late March or early May if appropriate options are available..

Anyway, some chats on paragliding forum state France is good in April, but Dom suggests that the thermals might be rather punchy and unpleasant. I wonder whether the flying might be more relaxed early and late in the day with bullet thermals in the middle?

I've also heard tell that Spain is better in March compared to April when if gets a bit wet. Does anyone have any comments regarding that.

Finally, I've just recently come back from South Africa so my flying is rather current. Would a holiday in March to keep currency up be better, and then flying UK till July when I'm back with Kelly in Bassano.

Thoughts, decisions and choices... First World problems... Happy to hear comments and thoughts :-)
Charles McDonald

ziggyP

Re: Where to go in April

Post by ziggyP » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:43 pm

Hi Charles

Tony talked about Bassano and I would recommend it for April.

You can fly Bassano pretty much year round and I have had good conditions in April previously.
Lots of B&B options, navettes go all day long from both Garden Relais and the Paradiso landing field.

Easy flying and if the theremals do get a bit strong fly early and late, but you have escape routes out
in the valley. Andy Breuer of AirPark, based near the Paradiso landing is excellent for help and info.
I'm currently hoping to get down there for April myself but not sure if it will happen
Hope this helps

Jan

AgeingHippy

Post by AgeingHippy » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:00 pm

Thanks Jan.

I'm off to Bassano in July with Kelly :-)

Had therefore discounted it as an April option, but now that you mention it... hmmm..
Charles McDonald

ziggyP

Post by ziggyP » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:37 pm

Lucky you :roll: :lol:

I should have read your post properly. If you took a car you could always nip round to Feltre for a day or 2

Jan