Joint CSC/DHPC xc based coaching day - Sat 2 Mar 19

Useful coaching advice.
aeros

Joint CSC/DHPC xc based coaching day - Sat 2 Mar 19

Post by aeros » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:00 pm

Dear Pilots,

Every couple of years the DHPC and CSC run a joint presentation about XC theory and local flights in the Lakes and Dales.
There are only 40 places and they are normally oversubscribed, so please only request a place on the course if you seriously intend to begin XCs this year or are already flying XC but could do with some theory. Some topics are similar to previous presentations, but it is mostly new. The venue will be at the Brewery in Staveley, north of Kendal, on Saturday the 2nd of March. We intend to start at 9:30am and finish by 5pm. We have 4 very different characters presenting: Ed Cleasby, Mike Cavanagh, Ben Keayes and Dangerous Dave. This is the 4th XC Theory course we’ve run, and we’re improving with time so it should be quite good. The subjects are as follows:
Introduction to XC; thermalling; flight planning; defined tasks; instruments and apps; review of a nice triangle in the Lakes by Mike; Routes through the Dales by Ed; clouds and cloud flying.
If you wish to attend or have any questions, please e-mail me at canddashcroft@hotmail.com and I’ll keep in touch with you. Also, just for our records, please say if you are a member of the DHPC, CSC or both clubs.
Thanks very much

Dave Ashcroft CSC CC

Could this please be posted to the main homepage.

Martin Baxter

Re: Joint CSC/DHPC xc based coaching day

Post by Martin Baxter » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:22 pm

Could this please be posted to the main homepage.
Done.

aeros

CSC/DHPC Joint coaching day

Post by aeros » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:29 pm

I spoke with DD at a CSC meeting last Thursday - at that stage we had about 25 pilots signed up - our limit is 45 MAX!. Whilst the focus is xc flying there is a lot of stuff that I think is useful even if you are not at the xc stage yet. As usual I'm preparing a new presentation which includes the following - see if it chimes with your needs in any way.

* Developing your own 'model' from the information you are given - in other words, not trying to fit someone else's.
* The topography and meteorology of the north of England with specfic reference to the Dales - sea breeze and wave effects.
* Notes on Dales XC routes - potential and pitfalls
* Dales sites - a personal look at the the main ones including some NOT in the site guide.

Later in the day for any small interested group I'll do a practical session on using xctrack.Best for that is you already may have it on a device to play with. If not, just sit in or borrow my spare.

AgeingHippy

Post by AgeingHippy » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:46 am

Bump

12 spaces left. A really surprisingly low number of DHPC pilots registered though :-O

I'll be travelling from York and am thinking of getting some accommodation to make a weekend of it. Hold thumbs the Sunday is flyable in the Lakes :-)
Charles McDonald

Martin Baxter

Post by Martin Baxter » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:03 pm

I would have come but sadly I'm committed to the BHPA AGM and Exec committee meeting in Nottingham that day. I'm pretty sure that isn't the reason why other pilots haven't subscribed :o

aeros

Re: Joint CSC/DHPC xc based coaching day - Sat 2 Mar 19

Post by aeros » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:40 pm

Yes ... we have had lots apologising for their non attendance as, tough call though it was, they have decided the AGM is where the action is. I expect you will have standing room only. :D

Dave Ashcroft, being DD, usually goes off piste with his take on flying ...I'm going that way too a bit. This isn't the Dales flying you know and love ... this is the 'secret' stuff normally hidden in plain view, but kept from you until you've been told the secret handshake.