British Club Challenge anyone?

Everything competitions.
AgeingHippy

British Club Challenge anyone?

Post by AgeingHippy » Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:05 pm

Hi All

I've just happened accross the British Club Challenge as detailed here.

It looks interesting and as I'm starting out on this XC journey I'm wondering if anyone else is interested in participating?

As I only have 1 XC of 10km under my belt and am a CP, I would like to join a team as a junior member :-p

Anyone ever participated in such or interested?
Charles McDonald

Martin Baxter

Re: British Club Challenge anyone?

Post by Martin Baxter » Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:34 pm

Oooh, lots of history here. The northern clubs used to compete in the BCC, but appetite waned following a mid-air collision at the 2009 BCC final and the loss of 2 pilots. Dennis Wray was the editor of Skywords. The club summed up the feelings at the time in a letter to SkyWings which I have attached to this post.
Mar 2010 attitude.pdf
(4.13 MiB) Downloaded 159 times
One of our concerns has been addressed. It is recommended that the host club provides a ground marshal: great for competitors but not so good if you are hosting the round. I know the BCC organiser well, and he would dearly like the northern clubs to particpate again. The format of the Northern Challenge Trophy is preferred by some.

Enthusiasm for the BCC has been pretty muted since the accident, but perhaps your post will spark some renewed enthusiasm.

AgeingHippy

Post by AgeingHippy » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:05 pm

Hmm... Yes, I did notice, after posting my question, that participation was decidedly Southern.

This would definitely need more northern clubs to participate to make it worth while.

Unless I'm mistaken, the BCC involves flying in company whereas the Northern Trophy can be done on a completely individual basis?

Interesting points made by the open letter...
Charles McDonald

Martin Baxter

Post by Martin Baxter » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:53 pm

Without a quorum of northern clubs the BCC team would have to drive down south for every round. The idea is to compete locally with your neighbours with the final being held somewhere (relatively) convenient to the teams that get through. The aspiration is for experienced pilots to mentor CPs in a friendly competition environment; often easier to achieve in theory than in practice. It's one of the few occasions when CPs are allowed to fly XC (supervised briefing in a controlled environment).

You can fly the NCT as an individual, not withstanding the advice of flying as a group for reasons of safety, assistance and fun. Ed has designed the tasks so that you can compete as a CP - all turnpoints are within range of the landing field. In my humble opinion you shouldn't really be attempting hike 'n' fly tasks until you achieve pilot rating, since they require taking off and landing out skills.

I have moved this post to the competitions area of the forum.