Mon 25th Feb

Discuss the forecasts and let others know your thoughts about where you are going flying in the Dales.
Post Reply
ChrisBaird
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:50 pm

Mon 25th Feb

Post by ChrisBaird » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:49 pm

Considering Semer in the morning and Windbank later if the wind is too high or off to the West at Semer. Any comment or Coaches considering going?

peterd
Posts: 189
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:25 pm

Re: Mon 25th Feb

Post by peterd » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:53 am

I would have thought Stags is a better bet considering the wind forecast?

Martin Baxter
Posts: 1420
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:18 pm

Re: Mon 25th Feb

Post by Martin Baxter » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:05 am

Chris only has a few hours under his belt but knows about the hazards of Stags Fell from when we visited on Saturday. If you do go Chris, and the wind is off to the South as predicted, you may have to walk all the way around to the South face to find a suitable-take off, avoiding the dead air behind the sharp edge. If you find yourself going down then don't be afraid to fly out into the valley and make use of one of the big fields that Wensleydale has to offer.

peterd
Posts: 189
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:25 pm

Re: Mon 25th Feb

Post by peterd » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:03 pm

Oops, perhaps that was inappropriate, oh well no harm done.

We had a look at Stags this afternoon and three of us got about half an hour of kiting and half an hour flying in light conditions on the SW face before the wind switched off completely. My take was that the alleged stronger winds were not mixing down into the thick inversion very far?

Martin Baxter
Posts: 1420
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:18 pm

Re: Mon 25th Feb

Post by Martin Baxter » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:07 pm

Oh dear: today was meant to be windier than tomorrow. Wish us luck...

ChrisBaird
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:50 pm

Re: Mon 25th Feb

Post by ChrisBaird » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:30 pm

Thanks for all the comments. All good. Semer worked well - except we arrived after the best conditions had finished..... Got a good long beat and back before a ttb. :)

Post Reply