Free Flying (1975)

Upload your flight photos and youtube videos!
Martin Baxter

Free Flying (1975)

Post by Martin Baxter » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:35 am

Thanks to David Hedley for digging out this 18min long film of early hang gliders flying at Windbank, Pen-y-ghent and the National Championships at the Hole of Horcum. The trees in the plantation at Windbank were a bit smaller then, and check out those sink rates!

http://www.yorkshirefilmarchive.com/film/flying-free

Is that Noel Whittal, Colin ? and ?? propping up the bar?

Martin Baxter

Re: Free Flying (1975)

Post by Martin Baxter » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:41 am

[From Trev]

The Hole of Horcum champs was end of May 1976 - massive crowds watching. I met Noel at a gathering just before that (Noel was at the comp, I think) and agreed to have a do after the H of H comp. My first flights were at the west face of Baildon (6 in total), taught by Noel, after which I bought the glider. It was a home built Skyhook 3A (with kingpost!) and I soon realised how dreadful it was, flew it for 1 month and then got rid and bought a Highway Cloudbase. During that month, I flew it from the top of Penyghent and the wing flapped so much and made a lot of noise. This scared the sheep and we got banned from the site. Fairly amazing that I survived that early stuff. I feel that had I started earlier, when no-one had a clue, I would have become a statistic!

Kev Gay also started flying in 1976, poss in Germany.