Stags Fell 11 April 2019

Log all the flying you have got up to.
Dennis M

Stags Fell 11 April 2019

Post by Dennis M » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:58 pm

From a day that started to look respectable from about 13.00 disappointing for me as I didn’t manage to get high and away as hoped. Quite a few pilots out and 6-8 getting away and heading north.

Martin Baxter

Re: Stags Fell 11 April 2019

Post by Martin Baxter » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:11 pm

Yes, quite a challenging day. Some good thermals but light winds making for some difficult conditions at Stags Fell. More than 20 pilots and a good few top guns out, but the conditions meant that we didn't exceed the 12 in the air rule. Quite a few bottom and slope landings with some sweaty walk ups, but persistence paid off for some. Jake nearly got to Carlisle. The ranges at Warcop split the rest of us into two groups; one at Appleby/Kirkby Lonsdale and the rest us in Teesdale late in the day.

AgeingHippy

Post by AgeingHippy » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:29 pm

As others have mentioned, it was a vary light wind day.

On the back of a wing and a prayer (and a bit of a buzz on the airwaves) I decided to take a flexi-day and head for the hills.

Ended up on Staggs with loads of people and very light wind.

I was very hesitant to take off as the site intimidates me a little, what with all the ankle-biting rocks around and my tendancy to go down when it is light.

When I moved further along the edge as wind had more E in it, I saw some nice soft looking farmers fields below so bottom landing did not seem so scary anymore. Noticed others landing there which took the edge off the intimidation by Staggs.

Eventually launched mid afternoon and ended up going down to land in the farmers field way below. Surprise Surprise.

Decided that given I was in the Dales and many got away I might as well put a little back into the sport and did some retrieves. 5 of us + wings in my Ford Focus. Felt a bit like a bunch of students rammed into a phone box :-D

4 minutes flight and 5.5 hours driving + working my flexi day off on Sunday - But don't regret it.

Saw an amazing lesson in perserverence. Someone must have launched 4 or 5 times and landed some way down, walking up and trying again each time. Eventually they got away.

Maybe not quite ready for low wind days in the UK just yet.
Charles McDonald

peterd

Post by peterd » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:49 pm

Don't be disheartened Charles, Stags on a light wind day was always going to be tricky to stay up or get away from. Other sites are more forgiving on light wind days!

On the other hand, marvellous retrieve skills, thanks!

Martin Baxter

Post by Martin Baxter » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:25 pm

Yes, thanks for the retrieve Charles. You’re right about persistence: my 5th launch of the day was the one that finally got me away.

Forgot to mention that it was also a day of 2 farmers. Fortunately I got the one who was interested our sport and invited me in for a brew; Pete D had the ‘gert orff my land’ variety.